The Hotel Marysville is classified as a contributing resource in the inventory of the Marysville Historic Commercial District. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1999, the district was nominated for its significance in the area of commerce, containing “the city’s only sizable collection of commercial buildings constructed before 1948.” Representing the growth of downtown Marysville from its beginnings as a mining town in the 1850s through World War II, the district contains numerous buildings in brick and stucco that represent some of the most prominent architectural styles in northern California during this period, including “a subdued classicism sometimes labeled Greek Revival” as well as Italianate, Neoclassical Revival, Spanish Colonial Revival, Art Deco and Moderne-style resources.
Typical of the early-twentieth century period of development, the Marysville Hotel was designed by San Francisco architect Edward Glass in the Georgian Revival style, a slightly less formal subcategory of the Neoclassical Revival style. As one of the largest buildings in the historic district, and one that was largely funded by community members, the Marysville Hotel has been a fixture of the downtown Marysville streetscape for nearly a century. Although the hotel closed in the 1980s and the building has suffered without maintenance during a long period of vacancy, it retains integrity and continues to contribute to the significance of the historic district.